OHSU Doernbecher ranks among the nation’s best children’s hospitals

06/05/12  Portland, Ore.

Quality-related data comprises 75 percent of this year’s U.S. News & World Report Best Children’s Hospital rankings

OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital Among Top 50 in the NationOregon Health & Science University Doernbecher Children’s Hospital ranks among the best children’s hospitals in the country, according to U.S. News & World Report’s 2012-13 Best Children’s Hospitals. The rankings are based on quality-related data, including survival rates, adequacy of nurse staffing and procedure volume and, to a lesser degree, peer-to-peer rankings.

The annual rankings feature 50 hospitals in each of 10 pediatric specialties: cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology, neonatology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, pulmonology and urology.

OHSU Doernbecher Children’s ranks among the nation’s top 50 in:

“I am enormously proud of the Doernbecher doctors, nurses and other staff who work so hard on behalf of our patients and families, and I’m delighted that they’ve received this recognition,” said Stacy Nicholson, M.D., M.P.H., Physician-in-Chief at OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital and Credit Unions for Kids Professor and Chair of Pediatrics in the OHSU School of Medicine.

For the 2012-13 rankings, U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers to obtain hard data, including availability of key resources and ability to prevent complications and infections. The data survey comprised 75 percent of the rankings. In a separate reputational survey, 1,500 pediatric specialists nationwide — 150 in each specialty — were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty, and their response made up the remaining 25 percent.

According to U.S. News, for families of sick children, Best Children’s Hospitals provides “unparalleled quality-related information in addition to rankings.” Since its 2007 debut, the children’s hospital rankings have “put an increasing emphasis on data that directly reflect hospitals’ performance over the opinions of physicians.”

Full rankings and methodology are available at www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals.

# # #

About OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital

OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital ranks among the top 50 children's hospitals in the United States.* It ranks 36th nationally for NIH-awarded pediatric research funding among children's hospitals affiliated with an academic medical center**, and is one of only 22 NIH-designated Child Health Research Centers in the country.

OHSU Doernbecher cares for tens of thousands of children each year from Oregon, Southwest Washington and around the nation, resulting in more than 175,000 discharges, surgeries, transports and outpatient visits annually.

Nationally recognized OHSU Doernbecher physicians and nurses provide a full range of pediatric care in the most patient- and family-centered environment, and travel throughout Oregon and southwest Washington, providing specialty care to more than 3,000 children at more than 150 outreach clinics in 15 locations. In addition, OHSU Doernbecher delivers neonatal and pediatric critical care consultation to community hospitals statewide through its state-of-the-art telemedicine network.

* U.S. News & World Report 2012-13 Best Children's Hospitals
** Children’s Hospital Association (formerly the National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions)