2016 Doernbecher Freestyle Collection to be unveiled, auctioned to support OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital
10/26/16 Portland, Ore.
Media are invited to preview the 2016 Doernbecher Freestyle collection before it is unveiled for public auction. The 2016 collection includes six one-of-a-kind footwear and apparel designs created by OHSU Doernbecher patients and a dedicated Nike design team.
Doernbecher Freestyle represents a partnership between Nike and OHSU Doernbecher to provide young patients enduring life-threatening illness the opportunity to design limited-edition footwear and apparel to support the hospital. Since its inception, the program has raised $14 million to expand pioneering research, support clinical care, purchase state-of-the-art equipment, recruit new experts and help cover the cost of care for families most in need.
Attending media will be able to:
- Take photos and video of the six patient-designers and their families as they view their completed designs for the first time.
- Conduct interviews with the six patient-designers who can share details of the inspiration behind each design, and how the Doernbecher Freestyle experience has impacted their lives. The 2016 Doernbecher Freestyle patient-designers are:
- Corwin Carr, 12, Hood River, Oregon
- Andy Grass, 11, Beaverton, Oregon
- Chehayla Hyatt,10, Salem, Oregon
- Damien Phillips, 10, Terrebonne, Oregon
- Braylin Soon, 10, Portland, Oregon
- Chase Swearingen, 14, Jewell, Oregon
- Learn how funds raised through the Doernbecher Freestyle program support patient care from Dana Braner, M.D., F.A.A.P., F.C.C.M., physician-in-chief, OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, and professor and chair, Department of Pediatrics, OHSU School of Medicine.
- Connect with Michael Doherty, NIKE, Inc. Senior Creative Director of Global Brand Presentations and board member of the Doernbecher Children’s Hospital Foundation. Doherty’s son first envisioned Doernbecher Freestyle as a means of raising money for the children’s hospital.
** Editors: Phone and email interviews with the Nike design teams by request. **
Friday, Oct. 28
4 – 5 p.m.
(Note: Admittance to the public Doernbecher Freestyle auction at 5:30 p.m. available by purchased ticket only)
Portland Art Museum, Mark Building
1219 S.W. Park Ave.
Portland, OR 97205
(corner of S.W. Park Ave. and S.W. Main St.)