English Language Support
Multnomah County Library
Multnomah County Library offers a wide range of classes, conversation groups and learning materials based on both speaking and writing. Whether you're trying to learn English for the first time or you're working to improve your existing skills, this is a great first step. These classes are located in several locations around the Portland area and are free of charge.
View class listing for descriptions, schedules and, locations
Portland ESL Network
Portland ESL Network sharing resources for English language learners. This website helps find resources at local churches, public schools, non-profits, social services, community colleges & universities, businesses, and libraries.
View the website for resources and maps
English in Action
A program for English conversation practice. First Congregational Church, 1137 SW Broadway.
- (BACK DOOR, at corner of Broadway and Madison). Free, no registration required, Saturdays, 9am, academic year only.
- Contact: Wendy Shaw, 503 227-8191, email@example.com.
North and Northeast Portland
Offers a variety of ESL services to qualified refugee families through referral only.
- Website: IRCO
- Address: 10301 NE Glisan St, Portland.
- Tel: 503 234-1541
Multilevel ESL classes, free, open-entry.
- Address: 8435 NE Glisan St, Portland. Mitchell Library Classroom L110.
- Contact: Kristen Hubert
- Tel: 503 251-6412
PCC MAP (Multicultural Academic Program)
Trinity Lutheran ChurchBeginners and intermediate ESL classes. Free, open-entry. Child care available. Thursdays, 7-8:30pm, mid-Sept–May.
- Address: 5520 NE Killingsworth, Portland
- Contact: Fred Kramer
Separated ESL class levels. Visit administrative offices and take a placement test to register.
- Website: Goodwill Services
- Address: 1943 SE 6th Ave, Portland
- Contacts: David Cassaday: 503 238-6173, Aaron Schwartz: 503 238-6196.
PCC Southeast Volunteer Literacy Tutor Program
Volunteer Literacy Tutor Program. ABE/GED/ESL. One-to-one & small group tutoring.
- Address: 2850 SE 82nd Ave, Library 218, Portland.
- Contact: Kathleen Holloway
- Tel: 971 722-6280
Russian Oregon Social Services
ESL and self-sufficiency classes for women Russian speakers. Serves the Russian-speaking community. Classes ongoing throughout the year.
- Address: 4033 SE Woodstock Blvd, Portland
- Tel: 503 777-3437
Southwest and Northwest Portland and Tigard
PCC Sylvania Volunteer Literacy Tutoring Program
Volunteer Literacy Tutoring Program. One-to-one and small group ESL tutoring.
- Contact: Kay Talbot, 971 722-4903
St Anthony's Middle School
Multilevel ESL classes, free, no childcare, Tues. & Thurs. eves, 10-week terms.
- Address: 9905 SW McKenzie, Tigard
- Contact: Derene Meurisse: 503 590-5582, or Marco Espinoza (Español): 503 639-4179 ext.129
Tigard Senior Center
ESL classes and citizenship tutoring. Separated levels, free, open entry.
- Tel: 503 620-4613
- Address: 8815 SW O'Mara St, Tigard.
- Contact: Kris Magaurn
Tigard United Methodist Church
Free ESL classes, 3 levels, open-entry, 10 week terms. Free childcare.
- Address: 9845 SW Walnut Pl, Tigard.
- Contact: Paul Colligan at 971 275-3775 (English), Rosemary Carleson at 503 635-6505 (Español)
Click here to search for English as a second language programs in Portland and across Oregon.
Portland Community College
Portland Community College offers affordable classes for people who want to improve or learn English for the first time.
Get more information about classes and how to register
Portland State University Intensive English Language Program (IELP)
Whether you want to improve your English to pursue a degree at an American university or want to study English for personal or professional reason, the IELP can help you.
Get more information about other intensive English programs in the region
Disclaimer: This list is provided as an information service only. It is not an exhaustive list of services or companies and is not an endorsement by OHSU of any company listed.