SoM 2014 Hooding and Awards
"On behalf of the faculty of the School of Medicine, it has been our privilege to be part of your education. You are all remarkable and we are so very proud of you – today and for what you will do tomorrow."
Mark Richardson, M.D., MBA, Dean, School of Medicine
From Dean Richardson: Congratulations Class of 2014!
Dear School of Medicine Community:
It was an honor to take part in the OHSU School of Medicine’s hooding and commencement ceremony on June 2. The spirit of celebration, reflection and joy was evident in the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. Our hard-working graduates weren't the only ones celebrating – family, friends and our faculty members who joined them all took part in recognizing the notable achievements of the Class of 2014.
We awarded 512 degrees to 502 graduates this year. This includes 40 Ph.D. degrees, four M.D./Ph.D. degrees, 117 M.D. degrees, six M.D./MPH degrees, 180 master’s degrees, 77 graduate certificates, 59 bachelor’s degrees and 29 associate’s degrees. In reading these numbers, it’s clear that the School of Medicine’s degree programs have diversified immensely since our founding in 1887, and along with this, our commitment to advancing human health has grown.
I’d also like to share my appreciation for and achievements of our dedicated faculty members. During the commencement ceremonies, our graduates expressed gratitude for your role in their journey. With your mentorship, teaching and leadership, you helped the Class of 2014 arrive at this moment. We are all grateful for your dedication.
Welcome, Class of 2014, into the School of Medicine’s distinguished community of health professionals and scientists; we all share the goal of improving human health. The future of health care demands innovation and breakthroughs, and I am confident our graduates are up to the challenge.
Mark Richardson, M.D., MBA
Dean, School of Medicine
Missed the ceremony?
- 2014 Commencement Guide: graduates, speakers, student and faculty awards, and more »
- Dean Richardson told a story demonstrating the impact all health care professionals have on people's lives »
- Graduate student speaker Joanna Ruth Helm, M.S., spoke about success and overcoming barriers »
- Medical student speaker Andrew Dworkin, M.D., urged his peers to be present and listen to their patients »
"What I hope for us is that we learn from the mistakes we will make. Know that, if you do not feel ready, you are ready, doctor. Remember ... you can heal. Find some peace. Be present. Listen to your patients. They will give you everything you need."
Andrew Dworkin, M.D., Class of 2014
2014 School of Medicine Awards
At the end of the academic year, the School of Medicine recognizes students and faculty for academic and teaching excellence, or outstanding contributions to their field.
The Class of 2014 Commencement Program lists awardees who were recognized at the June 2 ceremony. A select few and additional awards not mentioned in the program are featured below:
Awards and recipients
- The Edward S. Hayes Gold-Headed Cane Award was presented to Dean Nathanial Defrees, M.D.
- The Leonard Tow Award for Humanism in Medicine (Student) was presented to Kaebah Sara Orme-Evans, M.D. The Leonard Tow Award for Humanism in Medicine (Faculty) was presented to Andre Mansoor, M.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, Division of Hospital Medicine
- The John A. Resko Research Achievement Awards were presented: Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award – Pierre Francois Apostolides, Ph.D., Neuroscience Graduate Program; Faculty Excellence in Research and Faculty Excellence in Research and Mentoring Award – Diane Stadler, Ph.D., R.D., L.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine; Director, Graduate Programs in Human Nutrition
- Continuing Medical Education Distinguished Faculty Awards were presented to Alan Hunter, M.D., associate professor, Department of Medicine, and Atif Zaman, M.D., MPH, professor, Department of Medicine, in conjunction with the 73rd Annual Sommer Memorial Lectures
- Read the 2014 Commencement Program for more awards, including the M.D. Student Achievement Awards, the Outstanding Master's Thesis Award and Faculty Excellence Awards!
"The story of how you made it up this hill, how you have succeeded – this is one of the stories you will tell the rest of your life. Your story is unique. And it does not end here today."
Joanna Ruth Helm, M.S., Class of 2014
OHSU Media Release
OHSU commencement ceremonies honor more than 1,000 new health care professionals, educators, researchers
OHSU’s School of Medicine awarded 512 degrees to 502 graduates this year, with some graduates receiving combined degrees.
“This is a special day when we send new graduates out into the world to be health care providers, educators and research scientists," said OHSU President Joe Robertson, M.D., MBA. "The world is changing rapidly but that creates a lot of opportunity to make a contribution to the health and well-being of Oregonians. Our graduates have the skills and the commitment to do exactly that."
To share news about our graduates, OHSU distributed this media release to all Oregon reporters and interested others.
find photos of family and friends
Celebrate with our graduates! Relive the excitement of the 2013 ceremony and find photos of present and past School of Medicine Hooding ceremonies at the SoM Facebook page: