About Neonatal Resuscitation at OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital
The AAP strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in NRP and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. After completing the NRP course, the participant will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Knowledge and application of the 7th edition neonatal resuscitation algorithm
- Effective techniques for assessing and improving the adequacy of ventilation
- An ability to recognize, troubleshoot, and respond to the reversible causes of newborn bradycardia
- Cognitive, psychomotor, and CRM-based behavioral-skills needed for the resuscitation of the compromised newly born infant
Course ParticipantsHealth care staff who may be called to a delivery or to respond to an ill newborn.
NRP no longer differentiates between an initial and a renewal NRP class. The content and areas of focus for each class are tailored to each learner's needs.
Reviewing the 7th Edition Neonatal Resuscitation textbook. The 7th edition includes the following 11 lessons:
If you need to purchase a copy, it is available on the AAP NRP website. We also provide you with an electronic copy of the NRP textbook with your course registration 2 weeks prior to your registered class.
- Foundations of Neonatal Resuscitation
- Preparation for Resuscitation
- Initial Steps of Newborn Care
- Positive‐pressure Ventilation
- Alternative Airways: Endotracheal Tubes and Laryngeal Masks
- Chest Compressions
- Post‐resuscitation Care
- Resuscitation and Stabilization of Babies Born Preterm
- Special Considerations
- Ethics and Care at the End of Life
- Part 1: Completion of the online examination (both sections of the exam and the eSim cases) PRIOR to attending the course. Two weeks before the course, participants will receive an email with instructions on accessing and completing the online examination. After completion of the exam, a Certificate of Completion is generated. The Certificate of Completion must be given to the course instructor PRIOR to the course.
- Part 2: Attendance of a NRP course (Instructor-Led Event), which contains skills stations, simulation and debriefing. Each class has 2 instructors and 6-9 students.
- Once students are graded by instructors on the NRP online management system, students will be able to fill out an evaluation form for the class and gain access to their NRP eCard.
Participants who complete the online examination, attend class and pass will need to complete the online evaluation in order to gain access to their NRP eCard.
NRP course attendance does not guarantee successful course completion and attainment of NRP Provider status. If a participant cannot demonstrate critical skills of neonatal resuscitation during the evaluation component of the course, the learner may repeat a Provider course at full cost at a later date.
We do not provide CME credits for the NRP class. However the AAP offers up to 9 hours of Continuing Education Credit for the online examination for physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, and emergency medical service professionals.
AAP disclaimer: NRP is an educational program that introduces the concepts and basic skills of neonatal resuscitation. Completion of the program does not imply that an individual has the competence to perform neonatal resuscitation. Each hospital is responsible for determining the level of competence and qualifications required for someone to assume clinical responsibility for neonatal resuscitation.