Returning OHSU students are required to complete the following:
1. Annual flu shot and TB test
- You are responsible for ensuring that your flu shot and TB test are done and documented annually (regardless of whether you have patient contact).
- Annual flu shots and TB tests can be administered at JBT Health & Wellness Center at no charge for currently enrolled students.
- Screening for compliance: JBT primary care staff will screen for compliance at each visit, but ultimately it is your responsibility to maintain compliance. JBT runs compliance reports early on in each term and will communicate with any student who has an expired TB. If the student is not compliant within 30 days of receipt of this notice, their respective associate dean or program director will be notified of the noncompliance. The student will then have 15 days to rectify the issue. If not rectified, a hold will be placed on the student account which will prevent the student's ability to register for further coursework.
- Away rotations: We are happy to work with students on away rotations who receive such a notice. We can accept results of TB skin tests administered elsewhere that are scanned and emailed or faxed. In addition, the CDC may adopt new vaccine or immunization guidelines which could require JBT to contact existing students to become compliant with new guidelines. Should this occur during a student's academic career at OHSU, we will issue new guidelines with adequate timelines to ensure the student's safety as well as compliance.
*Confidentiality and reporting of compliance: JBT is charged with overseeing overall campus health. In accordance with federal (FERPA) guidelines and OR SB1558, students submitting the Immune Status Form agree to allow JBT to share compliance-only information with your academic program. Only the designation of compliant or not compliant is shared with your academic program.
Log into ReadySet to view or print your immunization records.
2. Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) OR comparable health insurance and CURRENT approved waiver
OHSU requires all eligible students to carry major Medical and Dental insurance for every day they are here.
Option A: Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP):
OHSU will automatically enroll you in the current SHIP with PacificSource and the associated fees will be added to your student account. Your coverage will begin with the 1st day of the term period in which you are registered.
Learn more about the PacificSource Student Health Insurance Plan
Option B: Comparable coverage and CURRENT approved waiver (a new waiver is required each year):
If you already have comparable health insurance and want to continue it while at OHSU, you must apply and be approved for a waiver to avoid being automatically enrolled in and charged for the Student Health Insurance Plan. Please review the OHSU waiver requirements before you apply. Waivers are submitted via a secure online system.
- There are separate waivers for Major Medical and Dental.
- There is a strict deadline for submitting your waiver. The completed waiver application must be received by USI, our insurance broker, by the waiver deadline that is specified each term. This deadline is in alignment with the registrar's 100% refund date. If you miss the deadline, you will need to wait until the following term to apply for a waiver.
- Waivers expire at the end of each academic year (typically September). You will need to re-apply each year if you continue to have comparable coverage.
Learn more about OHSU medical and dental insurance waivers, including the process and/or requirements
3. Patient Registration (if you haven't already been seen at JBT) and dates of eligibility at JBT
If you haven't already been seen at JBT, you will need to first register as a patient at OHSU in order to do so.
- Call patient registration at 503-494-8505 and tell them you are either an OHSU student or an OHSU postdoctoral fellow
- Call JBT at 503-494-8665 to schedule an appointment
Dates of eligibility at JBT:
You are eligible to begin using JBT services at the start of the insurance term period regardless of whether you have the Student Health Insurance Plan or have waived out.