Frequently Asked Questions
Each clinical setting the OHSU Telemedicine Network serves is equipped with a mobile two-way audio-video communications cart and the tools to share diagnostic images with OHSU healthcare providers. This enables OHSU healthcare providers to examine patients, monitor vital signs, read X-rays and CT scans, collaborate with local healthcare providers on the best treatment and address families’ questions at hospitals hundreds of miles away.
What is telemedicine?
Each hospital emergency room, or labor and delivery unit, is equipped with a mobile two-way audio-video communication cart and the tools to share diagnostic images with OHSU specialists. This enables OHSU physicians to examine patients at hospitals hundreds of miles away, monitor vital signs, read X-Rays and CT scans, collaborate with local physicians on the best treatment and address families’ questions.
What specialists does the OHSU Telemedicine Network offer?
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Newborn Medical Genetics
- Pediatric Intensive Care
- Psychiatry – Adult and Pediatric (outpatient)
What are the benefits of telemedicine?
- Provides patients access to the latest specialty and subspecialty care not otherwise available in their community.
- Spares families the time and expense of traveling to an out-of-town medical center to support a loved one who is receiving care.
- Avoids risky, expensive and unnecessary transports. More than 45 percent of the approximately 1,300 patients treated to date have been able to stay in their home communities.
- Reduces health care costs. The OHSU Telemedicine Network has saved more than $10.6 million in transport expenses alone.
- Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in emergency rooms and labor and delivery units. Soon to be a part of improving ambulatory care and in-home patient monitoring.
Which hospitals are connected to the OHSU Telemedicine Network?
- Adventist Medical Center – Portland
- Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center – Medford
- Bay Area Hospital – Coos Bay
- Columbia Memorial Hospital – Astoria
- Grande Ronde Hospital - La Grande
- Mercy Medical Center – Roseburg
- Mid-Columbia Medical Center – The Dalles
- Sacred Heart Medical Center – Eugene
- Salem Hospital – Salem
- St. Charles Medical Center - Bend
- St. John's Medical Center - Longview
- Three Rivers Medical Center - Grants Pass
- Willamette Valley Medical Center – McMinnville