Healthy Oregon Workforce Training Opportunity (HOWTO) Grant Program
04/09/19 Portland, Ore.
Submission Deadline: May 24, 2019
Healthy Oregon Workforce Training Opportunity (HOWTO) applications are invited from Oregon community-based educational institutions, consortia, health care service organizations, and others seeking funding to help launch new, innovative training initiatives to address documented shortages in specific areas of their local healthcare workforce.
Funding may be requested for up to 3 years. At this time proposals of $500,000 and under are strongly encouraged; however, applications of up to $1 million are allowed. The application must include all costs, including leveraged funding and in‐kind support. Grant funds may not be used for capital construction costs. Grant funds may not be used for Maintenance of Effort (MOE) of existing activities.
- Leverage existing community resources and demonstrate a financial investment beyond the funds sought in the application; and
- Clearly demonstrate a data‐supported healthcare workforce shortage in their community and describe how the proposed initiative will address this shortage; and
- Include a detailed evaluation plan for their initiative; and
- Provide information on how the new initiative will continue to be supported in a sustainable manner once the grant has expired.
The list below is a lens through which applications will be viewed. Item 1 is required; applications that also address Items 2 and 3 will be considered to be fully responsive to the core tenets of the HOWTO grant program:
- Expand current and/or develop new health professional training in a local area, which may include Graduate Medical Education.
- Address health disparities and social determinants of health.
- Support greater ethnic, racial, and linguistic diversity and inclusion in Oregon’s healthcare workforce.
Application in collaboration with established programs elsewhere in the state are strongly encouraged.
Any grant recipient must represent it has not discriminated against and will not discriminate against minority, women or emerging small business enterprises certified under ORS 200.055 in obtaining any required subcontracts.
For those interested in applying, please refer to the Application Guidelines packet. This packet contains eligibility requirements, expected contents of the application, review process and timeline.
For questions regarding the application, contact the HOWTO Program Administrator.