Frequently Asked Questions

Classifications & Registration

How do I know if my incoming person is a volunteer or a visitor?

Titles for visitors and volunteers stem from the various classifications within the volunteer and unescorted visitor series. These classifications are based on the duration of their stay, their assigned duties, and the number of hours per week they are contributing. Read more about OVV classifications.

How do I know if this incoming person is a volunteer or an unpaid intern?

Non-OHSU interns are individuals who are receiving academic credit from their home institution. A formal contract is in place between OHSU and their home institution. If the individual is not receiving academic credit then they would most likely be an Experiential Volunteer (but depends on the duties assigned and other factors outlined in our classifications).

Is a shadow the same as a Volunteer?

No. A shadow is someone who strictly observes - not participating in any capacity. Shadows are registered through the hosting department as Escorted Visitors, rather than through the Office Visitors &Volunteers. Shadows typically observe for a much shorter time-span (less than 30 consecutive calendars days; 1-2 days is typical). View the OHSU Visitor Policy on how to register an Escorted Visitor.

Why is my visitor being asked to provide a certificate of liability?

Whether a visitor or volunteer is covered under OHSU's accident coverage depends on the classification of the individual (see below) and the circumstances of the accident. If the visitor is in a classification that does not provide coverage they will be asked to provide proof from their hosting institution, or their own personal coverage:

  • If they are an Experiential Volunteer, Altruistic Volunteer, Skilled Volunteer, or Episodic Volunteer they may qualify for supplementary accident insurance by OHSU (see more information here)
  • If the participant is a Non-OHSU Student Intern, their coverage will be negotiated as part of the Affiliation Agreement Process
  • If the participant is a Visiting Scholar and is sponsored by their home institution, that institution should be covering their liability insurance. Contact Risk Management  to ensure you obtain the right documentation that verifies this coverage. If the Visiting Scholar is not being sponsored, proof of medical insurance may be required, contact Risk Management for more information. In either case, documentation that the risk and liability insurance piece has been addressed is required.
  • Eligibility, Requirements & Compensation

    What if my volunteer is under the age of 16?

    Applicant volunteers under the age of 16 are not eligible to volunteer in most areas, although some limited opportunities exist for 14 and15 year olds. These limited opportunities are educational based, low risk, and cannot include real research data/subjects, or patient care areas. Typically they can work with mock-data or simulation projects. The Office of Visitors & Volunteers is happy to start working with prospective volunteers at the age of 15, closing in upon their 16th birthday if they wish to register for and participate in more engaging opportunities once they turn of eligible age.

    What duties can I assign?

    Your volunteer/visitor should be assigned duties that are flexible and not comparative in scope to a paid OHSU position (with some exceptions related to Visiting Scholars). Generally, the volunteer/visitor should not be assigned duties or tasks that the department is reliant upon. Assigned duties can be in support of a paid employee's duties, but not in replacement of a paid employee's duties. Be sure to review the "Is Your Volunteer Eligible" portion of the particular classification you are registering for further information about acceptable duties. If you have any questions please contact  

    Is my volunteer/visitor eligible for stipends or other forms of compensation?

    The expectation should be that all interns and volunteers cannot receive stipends. Altruistic, Skilled and Episodic Volunteers are not compensated for their services – regardless if it is OHSU paying, or an outside source. However, if they are an Experiential Volunteer they may receive a stipend from OHSU (in certain circumstances) or stipend/compensation from outside sources. Visiting Scholars may receive compensation/stipends from outside sources, but not from OHSU. Non-OHSU Student Interns may receive stipends from OHSU (in certain circumstances) or stipends/compensation from outside sources.

    OHSU can only provide stipends –funds that are intended for living expenses and not compensation for services rendered – to individuals who are part of Formal Internship Programs, or if the funding is written into an already approved grant.

    Lastly, in the event that your visitor or volunteer does not meet the above criteria, and the OHSU hosting site sincerely wishes to provide some funds to support the visitor/volunteer, they can submit for a daily stipend of $10 a day to defray the costs of daily food and transportation.

    Does my volunteer have to have TB screening or other medical clearance?

    It depends on their building location and whether or not they will be located in clinical areas, or near patients. Once you fill out and submit the Volunteer/Visitor Information Form (VIF), the Office of Visitors & Volunteers will notify the prospective volunteer as to whether they will need to obtain medical clearance from Occupation Health, or they are exempt from needing such clearance. This notification will be sent as part of the "Step 2 Registration Packet" once the applicant's background clears.

    Can I issue my volunteer an ID badge?

    No. All ID Badge forms that request a "Volunteer"  or "Visitor" ID have to be signed by the Office of Visitors & Volunteers, or Hospitals and Clinics Volunteer Services.

    My Unescorted Visitor is outside of OVV's scope, how do I run their background check?

    If your unescorted visitor falls outside of the scope of our office (e.g. contractors, vendors, non-OHSU students on clinical rotation/practicum, etc.) please visit the "Background Checks: Self-Pay" website on the OHSU O2.


    Discounts & Perks

    Do you providing parking for volunteers/visitors? What transportation discounts do volunteers/visitors qualify for?

    Parking is not provided for volunteers and visitors, nor is a discount rate. Volunteers and Visitors that are registered with the Office of Visitors & Volunteers can purchase daily parking permits at the guest rates. They also qualify for the Tri-Met/C-Tranbus pass at an annual subsidized rate, and can ride the tram, Portland Streetcar and OHSU Shuttle for free. Additionally, they are eligible to participate in the Bicycling Program.

    Transportation options and other discounts are explained to all new volunteers/visitors in orientation.

    Transportation options - read more

    Discounts - read more

    Registered Visitors and Volunteers

    What happens if I experience an injury while volunteering?

    As a registered OHSU volunteer with the OVV, you may be eligible for accident medical expense benefits. If an injury or exposure occurs while performing your volunteer activities at OHSU please act quickly by reporting your injury and following the instructions outlined on the volunteer accident claim form.

    How do I edit the hours I have submitted in Volgistics?

    Only OVV staff can edit hours that you have submitted in Volgstics. Pleease go back, enter your hours correctly in a new entry, and email us at , letting us know which entries are incorrect; we will delete them.

    What do I do if I want to start another volunteer assignment?

    Your Hosting Site will need to complete a Visitor/Volunteer Information form. We will process, notify you if any additional compliances are needed (if so, it is typically different medical clearance or Compass trainings), and OVV will add the second assignment to your Volgsitics account. You and your supervisor will be notified by email when you are cleared to begin.

    How do I log my hours for a second assignment?

    OVV will add the second assignment to your Volgistics account once it has been reviewed and approved. See "What do I do if I want to start another volunteer assignment?" above.

    Can I start a second assignment once I have an ID badge?

    The ID badge you were issued it only good for the original assignment OVV registered you under. To add additional assignments, OVV will first need to collect a Visitor/Volunteer Information form. See "What do I do if I want to start another volunteer assignment?" above for more information.

    Can I issue my volunteer a metal key?

    No, volunteers are to be under close supervision at all times. Their supervisor should be able to unlock any door requiring a metal key on behalf of the volunteer. In contrast, volunteers may have special ID badge access, as they may need to move throughout hallways to access the restroom, enter the main front door of their assigned building to meet their supervisor, etc. 


    Access & Training

    Can my visitor or volunteer have EPIC access?

    Visitors and volunteers registered with OVV can receive read-only EPIC access. To request access:

    1. Please have your intern/visitor/volunteer complete EpicCare Fundamentals training in Compass
    2. A supervisor or Department Network Contact can complete the EpicAccess form here to request read-only access
    3. The form will route to the OVV Program Manager for review and approval

    For additional help or questions, please contact the Epic Help Line at 503-494-2222 option #2

    back to top


    Can my visitor or volunteer attend courses offered through the OHSU Career & Workplace Enhancement Center (CWE)?

    Currently visitors and volunteers may not register for in-person CWE courses, however there are several CWE online resources that are available. Learn more under Registered Volunteer>Discounts & Perks.

    back to top