I need an Agreement

If you’re an OHSU employee who needs to establish any of the agreements below, please contact TTBD at or call our main phone line at 503-494-8200.


List of Required Elements

If you’re an OHSU employee who needs to establish any of the agreements below, please contact TTBD at mta@ohsu.edu or call our main phone line at 503-494-8200. For a checklist of information required for each agreement sub-type, please see the chart below.

Required Elements Chart

 Incoming Material Transfer Agreements
Outgoing Material Transfer Agreement
Non-Disclosure Agreement
Industry Sponsored Research Agreement/Research Services Agreement
Research Collaboration Agreement
Scope of Work and/or Description of Purpose
 ✓ ✓✓ ✓ ✓ 
Materials List
 ✓✓  ✓ ✓ 
Draft Agreement (OHSU template or other party template)
✓ ✓  ✓ ✓ 
Funding Source(s)
✓ ✓  ✓ ✓ 
Contact information for other party — Investigator or Legal/BD
✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ 
Internal Budget (including list of personnel and indirect cost rate)
External Industry Budget
Compliance Verification — IRB, IACUC, and IBC
 ✓✓  ✓ ✓ 
Proposed date of discussions


Material Transfer Agreement (MTA)

A Material Transfer Agreement (MTA) is an agreement between organizations, which protects ownership rights for material being provided by a scientist or laboratory at one organization (the provider) to a scientist or lab at another organization (the recipient).


Show more information on MTAs

MTAs are required by most academic institutions and commercial entities to protect the intellectual property and ownership rights for shared research materials. MTAs also protect academic rights and freedoms – such as the freedom to pursue a research topic and right to publish results – for the researcher and party providing the material as well as those receiving the research material.


Industry Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA)

An Industry Sponsored Research Agreement (SRA) is a contract through which an industry partner funds an OHSU-intiated research project.


Show more information on SRAs

SRAs cover projects funded by industry and must be consistent with and support the academic, research and/or healthcare mission of OHSU. SRAs typically govern the scope of work, budget, payment obligations and timing, options to license any intellectual property arising from completion of the research, publication of results, and other important items to complete a research project. The process for developing a SRA may be brief or lengthy, depending on the complexity of the program to be sponsored and what the sponsor expects in exchange for its support.


Research Service Agreement (RSA)

A Research Service Agreement (RSA) is a contract through which an industry partner funds an industry-initiated research project at OHSU.

Show more information on RSAs

RSAs are often used for projects that involve the testing or evaluation of the sponsoring industry's proprietary new therapy, compound, diagnostic or device in a preclinical model. Typically the scope of work is entirely designed by the sponsor.


Research Collaboration Agreement (RCA)

A Research Collaboration Agreement (RCA) is a contract covering a collaborative research effort between OHSU and another organization.

Show more information on RCAs

RCAs are a framework for how a collaboration or partnership is to proceed between two or more parties, what each party is responsible for under a scope of work, how materials and data are to be shared, what the publication rights of each party may be, and other aspects including how new intellectual property that may arise from the scope of work will be managed.

Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

A Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) is a contract between two or more parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties (one or both) wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to, or by, other parties. The NDA is synonymous with a Confidentiality Agreement or Confidential Disclosure Agreement (CDA).

Consulting Agreements

OHSU is not responsible for negotiating or reviewing consulting agreements on behalf of OHSU faculty and staff. Consulting guidelines are covered in the Outside Activity/Outside Compensation portion of the Conflicts of Interest and Commitment policy.

https://o2.ohsu.edu/policies-and-compliance/ohsu-policy-manual/chapter-10-conflicts-of-interest-commitment/index.cfm (note: requires OHSU sign in)

Faculty are also advised that personal consulting agreements may result in conflict of interest situations with their university employment and, as such, must be disclosed to their respective Department Chair.

TTBD recommends adding the following statement to any consulting agreement that you enter into: "Consultant is an employee of Oregon Health & Science University and has responsibilities and research projects resulting from his/her activities as such an employee. Not withstanding any other provisions in this Agreement, the Company shall not have any rights to any work product, intellectual property and/or other works or materials created by Consultant as a result of employment with Oregon Health & Science University."